Does Hemp Oil Reduce Depression in Cats?
Most cat lovers don’t realize their cat can develop a sense of depression.
Feline behaviorists believe depression in cats begins when a cat experiences a change outside of their control (we all know how independent most cats are).
The following are all reasons your cat could develop depression:
- Arrival of a new pet (dog, cat, guinea pig, ferret)
- Loss of an owner due to death, moving away, etc.
- Stray cats in their 'territory'
- Family disruption (divorce, newborn baby, more visitors)
- Home renovations/remodeling
These are just a few examples. Any type of stress can trigger depression in our cats.
Our cat may not feel like she’s up to doing any of her normal daily activities like climbing, playing, or scratching on her special post.
Signs of Depression
Signs of depression in cats include (but are not limited to):
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of interest in their favorite treats
- Unstable sleeping schedule
- Lack of grooming/ cleaning themselves
- Lack of affection toward you and/or your family
- Apparent stomach ache
- Abnormal behavior
- Extreme changes in weight
Hemp Oil for Feline Depression
How can hemp oil help with your cat’s depression?
Remember the endocannabinoid system we have been discussing in previous articles (click here if you haven’t read the article yet)?
Hemp oil reacts with this system by promoting the release of serotonin (the happy hormone) in your cat’s body. Serotonin is known to reduce depression and anxiety hence relieving your cat’s anxiety (and ours… and our dog’s anxiety)!